Tuesday, December 23, 2014 – early dismissal for all elementary students at 1:30 PM
Wednesday, December 24 – Friday, January 2, 2015 – No school
Monday, January 5, 2015 – school will re-open at 8:50 AM
Have a safe and relaxing holiday break with your family!
Click on the link below for information about a community holiday event open to all.
December is a busy season for everyone with holiday concerts, shopping, and other festivities. In the school superintendent world it is also time (believe it or not) to work on the proposed school calendar for next year. In looking at the calendar for 2015-2016, I quickly realized that Labor Day next year is as late as it can be which is September 7th. This means that if we followed the same pattern as this year, we would have been starting school on August 31st (we started on August 25th this year). One other factor for consideration is that we need to coordinate our end date with our Hempfield neighbors since we share the use of the arena at F&M for high school graduation.
Click here for draft calendar: Penn-Manor-Draft-Calendar-12.11.14
You will see from the draft calendar that I am proposing a start date that is a little different than in past years. We will still observe the traditional pattern of mandatory faculty inservice days in the three week period prior to Labor Day. However, I have the start of school scheduled on August 26th (one day later than this year) and in the same week as our districtwide opening faculty inservice day. Half of the school districts in Lancaster County are also proposing (or have already adopted) a start date during this same week.
I plan to present the draft for board consideration at either the second meeting in January or the first meeting in February. As has been my practice in previous years, I would appreciate your feedback and have developed a simple survey for faculty, staff, parents, and community members to share comments with me at the following site: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/15-16PMcalendar
Thanks for your help!
Dr. Mike Leichliter
As the weather is turning colder, more and more parents are coming to pick up their children at dismissal. Just a reminder that we have worked hard to put a safe and efficient process in place for afternoon dismissal. Please review and abide by the procedures below in order to help us provide a safe environment for all our students:
- Please do not park in the lower lot and pull children from the group of walkers. We have limited the traffic on our lots and on Leaman Avenue until the crossing guard has safely helped our walkers at the intersection of Leaman and Manor Avenue. We would like your support in helping your students remain safe. As a school staff, we ask our student body to follow and respect our school safety rules. We encourage you to continue to model effective safety during dismissal.
- Please continue to respect the businesses surrounding us. The business owners request that parents of walkers not park in neighborhood business parking lots as this takes already limited spaces away from business patrons and customers.
- The lower parking lot is one way and an exit for all traffic from the school. Please respect the law and refrain from pulling into the school’s lower parking lot. It should not be used as an entrance. Please pull in line behind the two lanes of traffic to pick up your child – either in the bus lane behind the buses or in the parking lot upper entrance.
- Please notify the office before 3 PM if there is a change in how your child will be getting home. This allows us to communicate any changes to staff in the least disruptive manner.
- Reminder that all children up to age 8 are required by PA state law to use a booster car seat while a passenger in any vehicle. Additionally, all children age 8 and older must buckle up. A fine of $75 can be incurred for non-compliance. Please see www.pakidstravelsafe.org for more information.
Again, these procedures are in place for safety and security reasons. With the help of all staff and parents/guardians, we can make sure that all students arrive home safely and in a timely fashion.
First graders will be celebrating their holiday feast at 11:45 AM today. Due to the weather, parents should not feel obligated to come in for the celebration. Please notify the school office at 872-9540, ext. 3600 if you need to make alternate arrangements for the dismissal of your child.
Today, Wednesday, November 26, 2014:
secondary – 11:20 AM dismissal
elementary – 12:30 PM dismissal
There will be NO Y After School care today at Eshleman. Parents needing day care will need to transport their child to the YWCA in Lancaster after dismissal today.
With the impending weather predictions, we will communicate with parents tomorrow (Wednesday) morning as to whether the feast will be held as scheduled. Please check back tomorrow morning around 10:30 for an update.
Eshleman Elves has 80 students eager to participate but we still need some parent volunteers to help with the activities. If you are available and willing to help on Saturday, December 6 from 9 – 11 AM, please click on the link below.
We have reached our attendance limit for Eshleman Elves. No more reservations can be made for this event. Students who brought money and forms to the office this morning are on the list and may attend. Thank you for your interest. We are looking forward to a fun-filled Saturday!