Whew! Today was busy!!! We helped celebrate Earth Day early by working in the arboretum and then we celebrated Peep Day!
During our clean up, some of us were digging with hoes, some of us collected sticks to take out of the arboretum, and other were digging and planting pansies! If you went to Penn Manor, you might have known Mrs. Schlegelmilch as your Art teacher. We were lucky to have her and Dr. Garvey’s mom helping us with our jobs!
Well I’m sure you have met your new “family” member, as long as no one was tempted by their sweetness on the way home! Our class had a lot of fun adopting Peeps today and taking care of them, some of us even adopted twins!
After filling out our birth certificates and writing directions to our Peep Care people, we took our Peeps’ measurements.
After our measurements were done, we made the Peeps their own special rooms. Elizabeth’s Peep has his own bunk bed! Dallas made a bunk bed and also an en suite bathroom! I am a little jealous of these Peeps!
I hope you enjoy this holiday weekend with your sweet little peeps!
Please remember to wear clothes that are “ok” to get dirty as we will be cleaning up the arboretum. You can send in an extra pair of shoes to change in to if you wish. Also, if you would like to send in garden gloves with your child that would be great! It is not necessary, but some students don’t like to get their hands dirty.
Tomorrow will be a very exciting day in our class, I’m sure you have heard some whisperings of your child “adopting” a new friend….don’t worry, you are not getting an unwanted guest at your house!
Our date and time to visit the book fair has changed! We will be visiting the book fair during our regularly scheduled Library time on Tuesday, April 22. The Book Fair will be held in the Library so this will make shopping easier for first graders! We will go from 1:45-2:15.
Looking for donations!
Can you help? Mrs. Devenburgh is still looking for several empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls for our Earth Day stations next Monday.
I am also in need of your help. I am in need of some special treats for a snack mix we are making that day:
2 bags of skinny pretzel sticks
2 bags of mini-marshmallows
2 boxes of chocolate Teddy Grahams
2-3 bags of the Mini Cadbury Chocolate eggs, not the Cream eggs.
Please leave a comment if you can donate, and please send the item in by Thursday, April 17.
Hooray for Spring weather!!! I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend. This week report cards will be coming home on Tuesday. Please sign the envelope and return it to school. Don’t forget to fill in the comment sheet inside if you have anything to you’d like to share.
Reminders and News:
- Thursday, April 17 school is in session. We will be helping to clean up the arboretum area behind our school. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for doing “yard work”.
- Friday, April 18 no school!
- Monday, April 21 school is in session. This is our first grade Earth Day celebration. Please make sure you are here around 1:00 if you are planning on helping.
- Tuesday, April 22 will be our Lesson 23 spelling test.
- Thursday, April 24 is the Spring Concert! First grade is performing a special musical created by Mrs. Repkoe. Please have your child back at school between 6:45-7:00. You may find your seat in the auditorium, we will wait in our wing of the school until it is time to perform. Your child will be dismissed directly to you after our performance concludes.
Upcoming Reminders and News:
- On Saturday, April 26th: The Family Fun Fest will be held at Manor Middle school from 1:00-4:00. Join the FUN!
- Sunday, April 27 is Grandparent Bingo. Doors open at 1:30 and Bingo starts at 2:00.
- Tuesday, May 6, 2014 – School is in session for all students.
- Monday, May 12 is Awesome Activity Day. If you are interested in helping Dr. Janssen with this event, please click here.
- Monday, June 9 - School is in session for all students. This is our last day as First Graders!
toilet paper and paper towel rolls, just the cardboard tube. Mrs. Devenburgh will be using them during our Earth Day rotations on the 21st. Thank you!
Don’t forget book orders are due tomorrow.
Congratulations Dallas! Dallas was picked as one of the First Grade Leaders of the Month at Shine Time on Friday!
This week month is going to be packed with lots of activities for first grade! This Wednesday the Maryland Science Center is coming to do a special Science assembly for the school. Next Monday we will get to see a special “Music in the Schools” assembly. We’ll get to see and hear lots of different instruments. We have our First Grade Musical on April 24! :)
Reminders and News:
- If you haven’t done so already, please return your picture package and/or payment ASAP.
- Book Orders are due Tuesday, April 8. Remember to make checks payable to Scholastic Book Clubs.
- If you are picking up Wolfgang Candy orders, please make sure you come on Thursday, April 10 between 3:30 and 6PM.
- We will be taking our Chapter 11 Math Test on Thursday, April 10. We will spend our math block on Wednesday reviewing our money skills.
- Our Lesson 22 Spelling Test will be on Friday, April 11.
- Report cards will be coming home Tuesday, April 15.
Upcoming Reminders & News:
- Thursday, April 17 School is in session!
- Friday, April 18 No School
- Monday, April 21 School is in session!
- Monday, April 21 Earth Day stations in first grade! Let me know if you are interested in helping that day.
- Wednesday, April 23 Our class will be visiting the PTO book fair at 9:15. If your child is purchasing books, please send in cash or a check made out to the Central Manor PTO.
- Thursday, April 24 We will be performing in the Spring Concert!!! The concert begins at 7PM, however you should drop your child off before that so we can wait for our turn to go on stage. You will need to head to the auditorium and wait for us, but then your child will be dismissed directly to you.
- Sunday, April 27 PTO Grandparent BINGO, doors open at 1:30 and the game begins at 2:00.
- Tuesday, May 6 School is in Session!!! This is a school makeup day!
- Monday, May 12 Awesome Activity Day- Please send in the form letting Dr. Janssen know if you are interested in helping out that morning.
A quick reminder Friday, April 4 is a 1:30 dismissal!
Don’t forget, we are looking for volunteers on Monday, April 21 for our Earth Day celebration. Please email if you are interested!
Book orders are due by next Tuesday, April 8. There will be one more book order coming home in May.
Information about our Musical will be coming home tomorrow. We are so excited for it!
What have we been up to lately?
We finished our Weather unit by completing group projects on a specific type of severe storm. The students did a nice job completing their first group project!
Our class has been practicing Flake, The Missing Hamster in three groups. Today, two of our groups presented the play to the class. The other group will be presenting tomorrow. We did a great job reading fluently and with expression!
Here are some fun sites for your child to practice the money skills!
This is Central Manor’s 2nd week of PSSA testing, so our schedule will be a little strange again this week. 1st grade has been doing a really great job of “going with the flow” as we support our intermediate friends!
Thursday, April 3: We will have Library, don’t forget your books! Did you know that our class has been doing such a great job returning all of our books that we have been able to check them out on the computer ourselves?!
Friday, April 4: We will have Music. We will be practicing for our upcoming Musical performance on April 24. More details will be coming home soon!
News & Reminders:
- Monday, March 31 is our Mid Chapter Quiz Chapter 11. Students are doing a nice job differentiating between the different coins and then adding them all up. This week, we will be talking about the quarter too!
- We will be taking our Lesson 21 spelling test on Thursday, April 3. Ask your child about the powers of “Super e” at the end of the words!
- We will be working in groups to practice and perform a play from our Storytown books this week. Ask your child which part they are playing.
- Students will also be working in groups to complete a special Storm Research Project this week too. Each group will be sharing information about a different type of storm; thunderstorms, floods, blizzards, hurricanes, and tornadoes.
- A book order will be coming home today. Orders and payment are due by next Tuesday, April 8. There will be one more book order coming home in May.
- On Monday, April 21, first grade will be having a special Earth Day celebration in the afternoon. We will be rotating to the different classes to discuss the earth and how to take care of it. If you would like to come in and help, please just send me an email. We would love to have you from about 1:00 -3:15. If you can’t make it for the whole time it is not a problem, we’d still love to see you!
Upcoming News & Reminders
- Thursday, April 17th – School is in session for all students (this is a snow make up day)
- Friday, April 18th – NO SCHOOL – Good Friday
- Monday, April 21st – School is in session for all students (this is a snow make up day)
- The PTO Spring Book Fair will be April 21-25
- Spring Concert (1st Grade Musical) April 24 at 7PM
- Grandparent Bingo will be on April 27
I made a mistake with spelling lists that came home today! If your child had a yellow paper, please throw it out. I sent home the incorrect list! If your child has a white paper, that list is correct. I apologize for the mistake, I think this whole Winter weather in Spring has thrown me for a loop!
Also Spring pictures came home today. Please send back the package if you do not wish to purchase any pictures. If you would like to purchase pictures, simply take what you want and return the rest with the appropriate payment. I thought they all looked very cute!
Reminder: We are in school tomorrow. It is a weather make up day!