Whew, week one really flew by! We had a good first week back in school! We are all working to get back into our school routines and make great choices each day. Our class has already earned 6 of their 10 points for a class reward! We reviewed appropriate school behaviors and words this week, and I know I will see excellent first grade leaders during our second week of school.
Reminders & News:
- Please check and initial the calendar in the back of your child’s Blue home folder each night. This is our Leader Report, this allows you a glimpse as to how your child’s day went.
- We are beginning our Math textbook and Storytown Anthology this week. Please read the letters that come home tomorrow (Monday) outlining our homework and spelling policies in first grade.
- If your child is getting picked up or has a change in dismissal for any reason, please send in an orange slip. If the change occurs during the course of the school day and you cannot send in a slip, please call Mrs. Smith in the office ASAP.
- All forms (health profiles, contact verification, student handbook, & blog) need to be returned to me this week.
- Parent Volunteer papers are coming home tomorrow. Please know that I will do my best to accommodate everyone’s schedules to get as many parents into our room as possible.
- All Summer Reading Challenge papers are due to me tomorrow! Please email me or send in a note if your child’s paper got misplaced, but your child read 3-4 nights a week over the summer.
Upcoming News & Events
- No school: Friday, September 4 & Monday September 7~ Happy Labor Day!
- Meet the Teacher Night is Thursday, September 17 from 4-6:30. It is a drop in and visit evening and I look forward to meeting everyone!
- 1:30 Dismissal on Friday, September 18.
- Picture Day is on Wednesday, September 23. More information and forms will be coming home shortly.
Soooo today was a little too cold to play with water balloons….Boo! We will be including it as part of our end of the year celebration now. So, please send extra cloths or bathing suits on Thursday. (They won’t get soaked…..)
Don’t forget that if your child has a summer birthday we would like to celebrate them that day. They are welcome to bring in a treat to share with the class as well. Please send me an email if you are planning on sending something in.
News & Reminders:
- We had an awesome assembly on Friday, we learned some different African dances from the Imani Dance company. It was soooo much fun!
- Our year end celebration is on Thursday. This includes any summer birthdays that are celebrated outside of the school year. If you would like to to send something in with your child please email me and let me know!
- Report cards will be handed out on Friday and your child will find out who their 2nd grade teacher will be. This year, there will be transition time on the last day so that students can meet their new teachers and also see who will be in their class to help ease some of the anxiety they may feel going into a new year.
I can’t believe it’s actually here, the last week of school. It’s a very emotional time of the year for many, especially me. I have LOVED working with your child this year and have learned from each and every one of them. It was extremely important for me to come back these last 2 weeks so I could have one last hurrah with them and be able to personally send them off to 2nd grade. Please know they will be forever loved and greatly missed by me! I am no wordsmith and so this letter, written by another teacher, is something I’d like to share as a way to convey my end of the year feelings.
I give you back your children, the same children you confidently entrusted to my care last fall. I give them back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature then they were then.
Although they would have attained this growth in spite of me, it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch their personalities unfold day by day. I give them back reluctantly, for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a crowded classroom, we have grown close, have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of each other.
Ten years from now if we met on the street, your children and I, a light will shine to our eyes, a smile to our face, and we shall feel the bond of understanding once more, this bond we feel today.
We have lived, loved, laughed, played, studied, learned, and enriched our lives together this year. I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give them back I must. Take care of them, for they are precious.
Remember that I shall always be interested in your child and his/her destiny, wherever they go, whatever they do, whoever they become. Their joys and sorrows I’ll always be happy to share.
Thank you for sharing your children with me! Have a fabulous summer!
I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend! I am excited to spend the last 9 days of school back in action with the coolest class I know! Thank you all for the support you have shown by myself and Mrs. Kinser this year. Even though there are only 2 weeks left, we have a lot of fun things going on!
Reminders and News:
- Our Final Spelling Test is Wednesday, May 27.
- Awesome Activity Day is Wednesday, May 27. Please be sure that your child is dressed comfortably and in sneakers for the activities. As we will be outside for much of the morning, please be sure to apply sunscreen as well.
- Thursday, May 28 is the school picnic from 5:30-7:30, I hope to see you there!
Upcoming News & Events:
- Friday, June 5 is the last student day. We will be dismissed at 11:30 so no breakfast or lunch will be served that day. Report cards will be distributed this day and your child will find out which second grade teacher they will go to next year. If your child is not present on the last day of school you will need to swing by the office to pick up their report card, they will not be sent home early.
- *Summer Library/Garden Dates “2015 – Growing Readers” 9:00-11:00 AM
The countdown has started! Five more days and then Mrs. Saxton will take the teaching reigns back for the final days of school. I have really enjoyed teaching your child the last several weeks. It has been a great experience! So here is what is happening this week:
Monday May 18: Day 6 GYM and SPELLING TEST
Tuesday May 19: Day 1 LIBRARY Please make sure your child brings back their book. We will not be taking out anymore books this year.
Wednesday May 20: Day 2 ART
Thursday May 21: Day 3 MUSIC
Friday May 22: Day 4 GYM
Don’t forget to read the CM Newsletter. There are a lot of great events coming up. You can read the newsletter HERE.
Thank you for the support you have shown me while I have been substituting for Mrs. Saxton! Email me with any questions or concerns. Thank you! firstname.lastname@example.org
Book orders went home yesterday with your child. Orders are due on May 20. Thanks so much!
Monday, May 11
Day 1 Library
Tuesday, May 12 CM Night at SCOOPS 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Day 2 Art
Wednesday, May 13
Day 3 Music
Thursday, May 14
Day 4 Gym
Friday, May 15 EARLY DISMISSAL 1:30
Day 5 Music
** Looking ahead: Thursday, May 28 School Picnic 5:30 p.m – 7:30 p.m.
The Central Manor Newsletter for May and June has a lot of end of the year events that your family won’t want to miss. You can read the newsletter here. The weeks are flying by and I am really enjoying the time with the class. If you have any questions or concerns, please email me. email@example.com. You can also call the main office and leave a message there. (717) 872-1401. (I am unable to get messages from the class phone.)
Have a great week!
Monday May 4
Day 2 Art
Book Fair 1:50 – 2:10 Buy one get one free!
Parents are welcome to come in and shop with your child. You can send money in on Monday with your child. I will help them keep track of it and not lose it.
Tuesday May 5
Day 3 Music
Wednesday May 6
Day 4 Gym
Thursday May 7
Day 5 Music
Friday May 8
Day 6 Gym SPELLING TEST
If you have noticed the lack of math homework, have no fear, they will bring it home this week. We finished up our Shapes Unit, reviewed, took assessments and worked hard. Now we move on to the Money Unit.
Classroom Items Request:
Empty Shoeboxes: We are starting a research project next week and will be making a diorama in the near future.
Snacks: Yep, we are out again. Lucky Charms, Pepperridge Farm Fish Crackers, Kix, and Rold Gold Pretzels are our favorites.
Monday May 4 our class will visit theBook Fair from 1:50 – 2:10. Buy one get one free!!
Have a great day!!
First grade did an awesome job singing this past Thursday evening! Mrs. Repkoe did a great job putting together the program for them. I was very proud of them!!
I think we are back to a normal schedule this week!
Monday April 27 Day 3 Music
Tuesday April 28 Day 4 Gym
Wednesday April 29 Day 5 Music
Thursday April 30 Day 6 Gym SPELLING TEST
Friday May 1 Day 1 Library
(Lunch is at the regular time 12:20-1:00.)
Please continue to work with your child with their spelling words and reading. The poetry folders are on hold a few weeks so don’t be alarmed that they aren’t bringing them home to read.
We will begin a Needs and Wants unit in social studies as well as learning to count money! It’s going to be a full week and lots of fun learning! Please contact me with any questions or concerns through email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great week!
UPCOMING EVENT: Monday, May 4 BOOK FAIR…our class will visit the Book Fair from 1:50 – 2:10.