Good-bye September! It’s hard to believe October is here already!
Reminders & News:
- Our Spelling test is Tuesday, October 4. Students have been working since the first day of school to use only lower case letters in their writing unless it is a proper name or the beginning of a sentence. Please help your child by correcting any incorrect capitalizations at home too. 🙂
- The weather is getting cooler and we are going out for lunch recess each day. Please be sure to send a light jacket or sweatshirt along with your child each day.
We had a lot of fun learning about apples this week. We had fun working with our buddies too!We are doing a great job during our Daily 5 work and have also started math stations.
How are we at the end of September already?! Time is flying by, and we are learning so much!
- Monday, September 26 is our spelling test.
- Tuesday, September 27 is picture day! Please send in your payment if you are choosing to purchase pictures.
- We are celebrating Johnny Appleseed and learning about how he was a good citizen. We will also be doing some science exploration with apples. Please send in an apple or two (or more if you love apples!) by Wednesday. 🙂
- Book Orders are due Friday, September 30. If you want to order online, there is a code on the front of the book order. If you would like me to send your payment, just send a check along with your book order.
- I will be collecting reading calendars and checking Poetry folder signatures on Monday, October 3. Thank you for reading and signing these papers for your child. 🙂
- Monday, October 10 is Columbus Day. There is no school that day.
- Friday, October 21 is a teacher in-service day. Students are not in school that day.
Check out our weather song we learned!
- Please remember to have your child wear sneakers on gym days. If you would like to, you may keep a pair of sneakers and socks in your child’s backpack each day so that if you forget, they are prepared for gym.
- If you have not done so already, please return your KidStuff coupon book or payment in to school ASAP. Thank you for supporting the PTO! 🙂
- September 27 is Picture Day! Remember to send in payment with your child if you plan on purchasing pictures. You can send it in early if you would like.
- Picture Day is September 27. You can send in your payment prior to the date and I will keep it safe for your child. 🙂
- Reading Calendars will be collected October 1. Don’t forget to fill out the football reading challenge calendar too!
Have a great weekend!
A few new things have come this week, and I just wanted to keep you up to date.
Students will get a new poem each week. They should be reading it once or twice a night to improve their fluency. It’s ok if they are saying it from memory, but please try to have them point to the words as they read them. As they get smoother in their reading of the poem, they will hear themselves as “great” readers! In the future, the poems will have questions on the pages….for the moment, please do not complete these with students, we will do that together each morning. 🙂
Mrs. Devenburgh created a fun and creative way to have students practice their sight words, and she so thoughtfully shared it with us!!! 🙂 Students have their white belts in their folders to practice each night. We have 6th grade helpers who will come in the mornings and pull students to “test” them on their words. Once they pass the belt test 3 times, they will earn their next belt. It would be beneficial to practice all their belts each night, no matter what level they are on. Hi-yah!
Homework and EC:
Students have started bringing home math homework. They should complete it and return it the next day. Please check that they complete both sides. Feel free to use cereal, pennies, etc. as counters at home. I also told students they could draw the counters on their papers to help!
If they mark EC at the top of their page, that is Extra Credit!!! Usually it is something we didn’t have time to finish or the students can do independently and could benefit from more practice. These pages DO NOT have to be completed. If your child chooses to complete it, they may return it the next day to clip up or sometimes earn comet cash because they have done extra work to prepare themselves for school.
PTO Fundraiser Update:
CM PTO has some exciting news! We have a new project in the works for the school year and we need your help! We are in the process of working on plans for an addition to our playground! We would like to add new equipment for our students to enjoy! In order to make it happen this year we will be doing some additional fundraisers to help raise money for this project!! For our first one we will be selling the valuable, family-friendly 2016-2017 KidStuff Coupon Books!
All of you should have received your books and order forms. Please take time to look over the information provided and consider purchasing one.
This is how it works:
Each Student will receive one book and an order form to take home. If you are interested in keeping the book all you need to do is return the order form and any additional orders with a check or money order made payable to Central Manor PTO by September 16, 2016. If you do not want to purchase one just return the book to school.
Please note we will not take Cash for any orders we will only accept Check or Money OrderAny questions please contact CM PTO at email@example.com
Just to clarify, while our schedule operates on a 4 day cycle, our reading series and spelling lists will still occur over the course of 6 days. Because the date will not match a specific week day each week. I will always put the spelling test date at the top of the spelling list when it comes home, and I will put the dates on the blog each week as well.
The bonus words on the list are “extra credit” type words for the students to try each week. We will begin the challenge list once we are in a routine for taking a spelling test.
On another note, check out what we did this week! Sorry for so many pictures of my own face…I just love these kids! 🙂
We had a great 2nd week in first grade. We are starting to get into a routine and are working to make great choices and demonstrate leader behavior throughout the day. Please remember to sign your child’s leader report in the back of their home folder each night. Also, on the back of the paper is a reading calendar for the month. Your child should be reading for 10 minutes at least 4 nights a week. These calendars will be collected at the end of the month. You can count books for this as part of the football reading challenge that came home as well!
- Thursday, September 15 is Meet the Teacher Night from 4-6 PM. I look forward to meeting all of you!
- Friday, September 16 is a 1:30 dismissal.
- Tuesday, September 27 is Picture Day! If you wish to order pictures please send in payment with your child. If you would like to send it in early, I can keep it until picture day.
I’m looking forward to another great week next week! Enjoy your weekend!
Welcome to our blog! I will post news, updates, pictures, and our newsletter here.
Spelling Test Information
This year your child will be taking a spelling test each cycle. They will receive a list of spelling words based on the phonics skills and stories in our reading series StoryTown. They will always have 10 spelling words and 2 bonus words. They will get their list on Day 1 of the cycle and take their test on Day 6, unless otherwise noted.
We will take a pretest each week to determine whether students have already mastered the new words. If they pass the pretest with a 90% or higher, they will receive a list of Challenge Spelling words. These words will follow the same phonics pattern as the regular list, but will be more difficult. This list will also have 10 spelling words with 2 bonus words.
Although we will work with and practice our spelling words daily in the classroom, it is important that students study their words at home as well.
Today your child is bringing home a spelling list. They should study these words each night to help them prepare for their spelling test. The test is September 8, I wrote the wrong date on their lists, so I apologize!
Interested in volunteering?!
I had many parents and grandparents express interest in helping in the classroom. Please make sure that you have your clearances. Unfortunately, you are not able to come into the classroom and work with students if you do not have them. Click on the links below for more information. If you already have your clearances (yay!) please submit a copy to the school. They will need you to also sign a few pieces of paperwork as well. Once your clearances are on file, you will be able to come on in and help out!