Since the beginning of the school year we have had countless cracked dropped and misused laptops returned to the 1:1 help desk. We would like to minimize the amount of damage to these machines by following the steps included in this post as well as here.
- Do not leave your laptop unattended – The 1:1 laptops cost money and if one gets stolen it is a pricey fine.
- Keep it off the ground! – A laptop on the ground has a much higher chance of being stepped on and cracked.
- Liquid is bad – Keep your laptop away from drinks and water, liquids can get inside and short out your laptop.
- Keep it dust free – If dust or saw dust gets inside you laptop it can cause major problems, so keep it out of the wood shop if you can!
- Do not let it overheat – If your laptop starts to get really warm shut it off and give it a break. If it is a consistent problem submit a ticket or bring it to the help desk.
- Keep it off edges. – If a laptop falls off of a desk it can easily be cracked, so keep it away from the edge.
- Close the lid – The laptop is much more fragile when the lid is open, so when not in use close it.
- Stranger danger – It is your laptop, so if it breaks its on you. Keep your laptop safe and refrain from letting others use it
- Cold is a no go. – Keeping your laptop in the car over the winter is not good for your laptop