Please click on the link below to read about Red Ribbon Week at Central Manor next week!
This year, all parents will sign up for a virtual parent-teacher conference. At the end of this week, you will get a link from your child’s teacher that you will use to log in and secure a time slot that works for you. Conferences will be held on Monday, November 23rd from 1:45 PM-8:00 PM and on Tuesday, November 24th from 1:45 PM-3:45 PM. Availability may vary slightly depending on teacher’s individual schedules.
To plan ahead for conferences:
- Look at your calendar, select dates/times that will work best for your family. Please remember we only host one conference, so it is very important that blended families coordinate this in advance.
- A Gmail account must be used to schedule an appointment. (Please sign up for the conference and include your child’s name in some way.)
- If you do NOT have a Gmail account, you will use your child’s login information to sign up for the conference. Your child’s username is his/her 6 digit student ID. For example, “email@example.com” Your child also has a password that is specific to only him/her.
- After you sign up for your conference, an email confirmation will be sent to the g-mail account of the teacher and also to the account you used to sign up.
- A parent tip: If you sign up using your child’s account, please hold on to their log in information because you will need it for the date/time of the conference to log back in for the google meet conference.
- If your child receives additional services (AST/Title I) you will also receive a link from your child’s support teacher to set up a separate conference.
- If you are unable to sign up for a conference using your child’s computer, please contact our building secretary at 717.872.1401 to schedule your appointment.
- Please sign up for a conference by November 2nd.
Friday (10/9) is an early dismissal for all students, K-12.
School is closed Monday, 10/12. Group A will be in session on Tuesday (10/13) & Wednesday (10/14), and Group B will attend on Thursday (10/15) & Friday (10/16). There will be no online instruction on Wednesday (10/14).
We have spirit yes we do! We have spirit how about you?!
Help us support Penn Manor and celebrate homecoming by participating in spirit week next Tuesday-Friday!
Group A– Tuesday, 10/13- Wear your favorite hat, or sport some crazy hair.
Group A– Wednesday, 10/14- Penn Manor Blue and Gold Day- wear any PM gear you have or blue and gold.
Group B– Thursday, 10/15- Wear your favorite hat, or sport some crazy hair.
Group B– Friday, 10/16- Penn Manor Blue and Gold Day- wear any PM gear you have or blue and gold.
A reminder that Math Chapter 1 Test is due, signed with corrections by Monday, Sept. 28 for Group A and by Thursday, October 1 for Group B.
We will be harvesting sweet potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes this week. We suggest wearing “digging in dirt” clothes. Group A will harvest tomorrow, Monday, Sept. 28 and Group B will harvest on Thursday, Oct. 1.
Be ready to smile! Picture Day for Group A will be Tuesday, Sept. 29 and Group B will be Friday, Oct. 2.
Important information for Gr. 3-6 – Group A and B Families:
School is closed on Monday, October 12. As a result, Group A will meet in person on Tuesday (10/13) and Wednesday (10/14). Group B will meet in person on Thursday (10/15) and Friday (10/16). There will be no online instruction on Wednesday (10/14).There is no school for students on Friday, November 6. (K-12 In-service day) As a result, Group A will meet in person Monday (11/2) and Tuesday (11/3) and Group B will meet in person Wednesday (11/4) and Thursday (11/5). There will be no online instruction on Wednesday (11/4).
Please read the post below from Mr. Malek and Mrs. Suydam:
Parents—we are seeking your help so your child can get the best virtual learning experience during our virtual Wednesday sessions. Teachers are planning lessons for online learning on Wednesdays, and we ask that all students approach these days with the educational commitment as if they were in the classroom. We recognize that this is new and NOT how we wish it could be, but our teachers are committed to providing quality instruction during these times. Here are reminders about appropriate conduct during a google meet with CM teachers:
- Children should be in front of their laptops, seated and ready to learn.
- Cameras should be on at all times during the session for all children during the lesson.
- Students should pick one location to remain for the duration of the lesson. This location should be an appropriate learning space.
- If children need to leave camera for a restroom break or another reason, they need to ask permission from their teacher to leave the meet or turn their camera off.
- Messages sent to the chat during the lesson are reserved for instructional purposes ONLY.
- Children should refrain from eating while on their meets. Please use the break time between subjects if a snack is needed.
- Work space should be free of pets and toys since these are distracting to our learners.
- Parents are encouraged to support their learner at home, but to not actively participate in the lessons.
Moving forward, Mr. Malek and Mrs. Suydam ask all grade 3-6 students to show Central Manor leadership during online learning sessions. We plan to visit your virtual sessions this Wednesday. Thank you for helping us as we navigate these new online lessons.
Our first FULL WEEK is finished! It was so nice to get to see our entire class on the Google Meets on Wednesday. And we released butterflies this week! What a great week!
Just a few reminders and updates:
- Some of our class assignments will be completed online, and some using paper and pencil. Please make sure you are monitoring your child’s Sapphire account since the assignments completed on the computer can not be sent home.
- Online assignments for each week must be completed by Sunday. If assignments are not in by Sunday, we are required to count them as a zero and your child will not receive credit for the assignment. Again, please monitor your child’s Sapphire account as well as Google Classroom for your child’s progress.
- Grades in Sapphire for Reading and Math are calculated by percentages. The grades are weighted and are calculated as follows: Tests and quizzes: 60% of your child’s grade; Classwork: 30% of your child’s grade; Completion of Online Assignments: 10% of your child’s grade.
- On Monday, your child will be coming home with a planner page. Your child’s planner is an essential way for us to communicate with each other, and it is a big step in developing your child’s independence. Each day we take class time to write in the planner together. It is expected that your child carefully (and neatly!) copy what has been written. We ask that you sign the bottom of the planner each night showing that you are aware of what they are responsible for each night and what color they have ended on each day. You just need to review this with your child and sign where indicated. Your child may need an additional set of eyes to make sure each item is in the correct location and their color has been filled out. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!
We can’t wait to see the class together again on Wednesday! Have a great weekend!
Help us kick off Penn Manor’s fall sports season this Friday, September 18th by wearing your favorite sports jersey or Penn Manor spirit wear! Students who are in Group A and virtual take a picture and email it to Mrs. Suydam at firstname.lastname@example.org. Watch our blog for a spirit day slide show. Let’s Go Comets!!
We have competed two weeks of school! We should all pat ourselves on the back. Our students have accomplished a great deal in these two weeks. Thank you for all the support and encouragement you have given at home. Your children come to school each day happy and ready to learn.
On remote learning days, PDE is requiring schools to use two criteria: student login and work submission. Students have two calendar days to submit the assignment. If an assignment was posted on Monday, it is due by day’s end on Wednesday. If an assignment was posted on Friday, it is due by day’s end on Sunday.
🤸♀️Your 3rd grader will be on track if they are signing in on our Mandatory Remote Learning Form, in our Google Classroom, by 9:30 AM on their virtual day AND working on the learning assignments for that day.
Where Can My Child Find All Their Assignments?
Your child’s Google Classroom has a new feature.
You will see two headings for the Week of September 14.
One heading will say Week of Sept. 14 At School. These will be completed while students are at Central Manor. They do not need to be opened at home.
Another heading will say Week of Sept. 14 At Home. There are the assignments that need to be completed while learning at home. Under this heading you will find “This Week’s Overview“. 😊Your 3rd grader will go here to find a VERY helpful list of what they need to complete.
First Live Google Meet This Wednesday!
🤸♀️Our first Google Meet will be this Wednesday, September 16. Students need to sign in between 9:00-9:15 AM. The link can be found on the Stream page of our Google Classroom. We will take a brief question and answer time for parents at 9:15. Lessons will be from 9:30 to 11:30 with a break from 10:15-10:30. 📜 For this first Meet, our child will need the “I in Kind” worksheet that was sent home in their home folder. It will be exciting to see our whole class together for the first time. A more specific letter about our first virtual Wednesday came home with the B group on Friday and the A group Monday.
We had a great first week back. We thank you for your patience as we are planning for both virtual activities and in-person activities for students.
Students are doing a fabulous job learning how to use Google Classroom. Our goal for them is to be independent with the activities that they are assigned. This upcoming week, students will only need to access Google Classroom to complete attendance. Your child should know how to do this. In Google Classroom, there will be assignments that will be completed at school OR at home. If there is a school Emoji in front of the assignment, that assignment will be completed at school and students should not complete it at home.
Group B already has their virtual assignments for this upcoming week. These should be relatively independent. Group A students will receive their assignments Wednesday. Assignments for next week are all paper/pencil activities except for finishing their “Let’s Get To Know You” slideshow, which is in Google Classroom.
Reading calendars are paper copies for this month. Reading calendars this month are located in the back pocket sleeve of their Take Home folder. Next month they will be virtual and can be found in Google Classroom.
Just a reminder: We will see Group A Tuesday and Wednesday (September 8th and 9th) and Group B on Thursday and Friday (September 10th and 11th).
Questions? Let us know! As always, thank you for your support!