In reading we will explore literature from various genres, as we reinforce and develop our core reading abilities. We will also maintain an emphasis on vocabulary study and acquisition. Focus skills we will be targeting include:
- Plot (Conflict and Resolution)
- Character’s Motives
- Text Structure (Sequence)
- Compare and Contrast
- Cause and Effect
- Author’s Purpose and Perspective
- Literary Devices
- Summarize and Paraphrase
- Fact and Opinion
This year, we will aim to grow our writing abilities in multiple areas, including:
- Text-Dependent Analysis
We will also cover a wide variety of grammar topics.
- Place value
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing: whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Expressions and patterns (algebraic concepts)
- Measurement (Metric and Customary)
We will also maintain an emphasis on basic math fact proficiency throughout the year.
We will focus on American history, and cover many topics on 13 Colonies and Colonial Life, The Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, and The U.S. Government.
We will be covering many Biology, Physics, and Earth/Space Science topics.