Our Focus Skills this year include: Plot (Conflict and Resolution), Character’s Motives, Theme, Text Structure (Sequence), Compare and Contrast, Cause and Effect, Author’s Purpose and Perspective, Literary Devices, Summarize and Paraphrase, and Fact and Opinion. We also learn new vocabulary every lesson and practice a variety of different Reading Strategies.
- September: 3-paragraph essay
- October: Personal Narrative
- November: Fictional Narrative
- December: Persuasive Writing
- January: Poetry
- February: Informative Report
- March: PSSA Prompt Practice
- April/May: Multi-Genre Project
This year, it’s all about American History! (Yeah!) We explore the Thirteen Colonies and Colonial Life, The Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion (including Oregon Trail), and The U.S. Government. Social Studies will be taught by Mrs. Loreto.
Units covered include Energy, Space, Earth’s Changes, and Rocks and Minerals. Students will continue to practice using the Scientific Process as they work through these units. Science will be taught by Mr. Birch.