Each year the students at Conestoga and Martic have the opportunity to take part in counseling groups based on parent, teacher, or self-referral needs.
Although the focus of each group may vary, topics usually include:
- Meeting, making, and keeping friends
- Learning more about family changes
- Developing self-esteem
- Learning to keep “cool” with stress management skills
- Discovering ways to handle angry feelings
- Succeeding in school
- Working and learning with others.
I try to schedule group meetings during lunch or recess in order to best accommodate the students’ busy academic schedules.
Parents, students, and/or teachers may refer a child to group counseling at any time throughout the school year.