“Choosing “Just Right” Books
Too Easy Books
As you read, ask yourself these questions. If you answer “yes” to most of the
questions then the book is probably too easy for you. You can still have fun
reading it, but next time try to choose a book that is a little more
1. Have you read this book many times before?
2. Do you understand the story very well without much effort?
3. Do you know and understand almost every word? (Use the “5 Finger Test”)
4. Can you read it smoothly and fluently without much practice or effort?
Just Right Books
As you read ask yourself these questions. If you answer yes to most of them then the
book you are reading is probably “just right” for you. These are the books that
will help you make the most progress in your reading. Read, enjoy and learn
from the experience!
1. Is this book new to you?
2. Do you understand most of the book?
3. Are there a few words per page that you don’t recognize or know the
meaning to instantly? (Use the “5 Finger Test”)
4. Can someone help you with the book if you hit a tough spot?
Too Hard Books
As you read ask yourself these questions, if you find that you answer yes to most of
these questions, then the book is probably too hard for you. Don’t forget about
the book, try it again later. As you gain experience in choosing “just right”
books, you may find when you pick the book up again that it is “just
1. Are there more than a few words on a page that you don’t recognize or know the meaning?
2. Are you confused about what is happening in most of the book?
3. When you read, are you struggling and does it sound choppy?
4. Is everyone busy and unable to help you if you hit a tough spot?