Welcome to Kindergarten!
Pennsylvania School Immunization Requirements (28 PA Code Ch.23)
Children in Kindergarten need the following immunizations for attendance:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis (usually given as a DTaP or DTP or DT or Td) – one dose must be on or after 4th birthday
- 4 doses of polio – 4th dose must be on or after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given
- 2 doses of measles, mumps and rubella (usually given as MMR)
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B (properly spaced)
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
Vaccine Information can be found at: www.dontwaitvaccinate.pa.gov
Vaccine compliance is determined by the number of doses and spacing of vaccine doses.
The time for completing immunizations decided by the PA Department of Education and the PA Department of Health is now 5 days. To prevent your child from being excluded from school, you must provide one of the following by the first day of school:
- A copy of the required immunizations
- A written plan to complete immunizations signed by a licensed health care provider
If you do not have insurance or your insurance does not cover immunizations, please call one of the organizations below:
- Pennsylvania Department of Health at (717) 299-7597
- LGH ChildProtect at (717) 544-3811
In addition to the above vaccinations, a physical exam and dental exam are also required for entry into a school in Pennsylvania. The physical and dental exams should be completed by the first day of school. Forms and other health information is available on the nurse’s blog under forms.
A certificate of immunization exemption must be presented if there is any reason that a child cannot be vaccinated against these diseases. If your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be removed from school during an outbreak.