District History

In his History of Penn Manor Schools, A. Norman Ranck states, “Prior to 1953, the component school districts which today form the Penn Manor School District were Conestoga, Manor, Martic, Millersville, Pequea, and Washington Boro.” During preliminary meetings held between 1948 and 1953 to discuss the eventual consolidation of local schools, many names were suggested for the district. The Name Penn Manor was selected to reflect the area’s history as part of William Penn’s land. Final consolidation of all individual school districts occurred in 1967 when Dr. Elmer Berkebile was appointed as the first Superintendent of Schools. Prior to Dr. Berkebile’s appointment, a supervising principal was in charge of the individual municipal schools and was overseen by a single county Superintendent.

Since the village of Millersville was part of Manor Township until Millersville was incorporated in 1932, the early history of their schools is intertwined. The following individuals served as supervising principal of Manor Township/Millersville Borough:

1921 – 1924 Dr. W. D. Marburger

1924 – 1943 Dr. D. Luke Biemesderfer

1943 – 1967 A. Norman Ranck

The following individuals served as Superintendent of Penn Manor School District:

1967 – 1983 Dr. Elmer Berkebile

1983 – 1996 Noel Taylor

1996 – 2000 Dr. Michael Moskalski

2000 – 2002 Dr. Gary Campbell

2002 – 2009 Donald Stewart

2009 – Present Dr. Michael Leichliter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.