Mental Health and Crisis Line: We’re in an unprecedented time for everyone. It’s uncertain and very scary. This fear is completely understandable, and the indefinite timeline is likely creating a lot of anxiety during a time where we may be or feel more removed from our support networks. But social distancing doesn’t have to mean social isolation, and we want people to know that even as we all face this difficult period, no one is alone. Beginning at 6 p.m. on April 1 the Center for Community Resources will offer a 24/7 mental health and crisis support line for people dealing with anxiety or other difficult emotions. Callers will be able to speak with staff who are trained in trauma-informed principles and will listen, assess the person’s needs, triage, and refer to other local supports and professionals as needed. The Mental Health Support Line can be reached toll-free, 24/7 at 1-855-284-2494.
Check out this tip sheet for things to consider as you make your final college decisions!
Colleges across the country have announced opportunities for virtual visits, chats with students in various majors, and admissions information sessions as a result of schools being closed. We will add links, information and opportunities for you to make the most of virtual college visit opportunities. Check back for updates!
- Virtual College Tour Sites:
- http://www.ecampustours.com/ Virtual tours of over 1300 campuses!
- https://www.youvisit.com/collegesearch/ Visit over 600 colleges for free!
- This chart lists MANY, MANY schools in the US and overseas that have Virtual Admissions Events. This is an exceptionally comprehensive list that is updated daily: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZOAtzZNAjwxoOQbKzMY2JvMll24LQHBXlpV158qQi0U/edit#gid=0
- Individual College Information: ( Updated Regularly)
- Penn State York is offering Virtual Events for prospective students during the months of April and May. You can find information about a virtual Zoom session on April 25 and many other opportunities on the following website: https://apply.psu.edu/portal/yk-vr-pr
- Talk with a student tour guide about Kutztown University and various majors at https://www.kutztown.edu/admissions/talk-with-tour-guides.html
- Point Park’s Admission Office will assist students via phone, email, live chat and web to help keep you on track. Click on the link to set up a conversation?
- Wilkes University: Juniors and sophomores may have originally planned this spring for visiting campuses and finding out more about their top schools. We have a solution! We’ve created a virtual experience just for underclassmen to learn more about Wilkes, without ever leaving their home. Students can even schedule one-on-one virtual meetings with counselors, in addition to learning about campus life, current students, academic offerings, and more!
- Bowdoin: As your students start to identify their college wish lists, they may be searching for ways to better understand a college. They can begin with a number of virtual options, including short live information sessions, virtual tours, and plenty of video content on social media.
Are you interested in a career in conservation and wildlife? Consider attending a Wildlife Leadership Academy this summer. You will engage in conservation activities, experiences and develop leadership and professional skills. This summer there will be curriculum focusing on deer, bass, trout, turkey and bear!
This is a great way to make the most of your summer. In addition you will:
obtain 3 college credits from Cedar Crest College for attending field school,
receive college and job reference letters from Academy staff,
go to special conservation focused college visit days at PSU Dubois, Susquehanna University, and Chatham University, and
attend professional scientific meetings including the PA Chapter of The Wildlife Society meeting, the Keystone Conference, and the PA Botany Symposium.
For more information see your school counselor!
PA offers many great career resources. See below for great information.
PA CareerLink is the state’s premier job-matching tool developed to transform the landscape of how job-seekers find jobs and how employers find talent. The user-friendly job-matching system was created to connect employers and job seekers all in one place, free of charge. [Full Description]
Use this mobile-friendly tool to build your resume. The easy fill-in-the-blank process allows you to add your information (contact information, experience, education, etc.) and leads to a finished resume in PDF format that you can save or email. [Full Description]
PA Workforce Statistics
Use PA Workforce Statistics for timely, objective and credible workforce and economic statistics and analysis to help users make informed policy, business and career decisions that strengthen Pennsylvania’s economic security.
Pennsylvania Career Guide
Whether you are a student, an educator, a first-time jobseeker, a parent or a person considering a career change, you will find that the Pennsylvania Career Guide is a valuable resource as you make those all-important career decisions. [Full Description]
This is a public service of the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) and serves as your one-stop career and college planning website. Education Planner provides practical and easy-to-understand advice to help prepare students for the important decisions they will face in the future.[Full Description]
Occupational Outlook Handbook – Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Occupational Outlook Handbook can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
Please join the West Point Admissions Office, the West Point Field Force and current Cadets on Friday, December 13th at 6:30PM at the Independence Seaport Museum 211 S. Columbus Blvd Philadelphia, PA 19106.
The West Point experience is unique and focused around the four pillars of Character, Academic, Physical and Military that makes it different from other colleges. At West Point you will learn and incorporate the ideals of loyalty, respect, integrity, courage and honor in your daily life. You will learn failure can make you stronger.
West Point is not for everyone but if this culture and these opportunities appeal to you, take the chance on a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Please bring your parent or guardian so they can learn about these opportunities too and help support you in this process. We look forward to meeting you! This decision can change your life and maybe the world! PROVIDE RSVP TO: https://einvitations.afit.edu/inv/anim.cfm?i=479248&k=06664B0B7F5F
On the 20th of November, UPJ will be hosting Humanities Day at UPJ. During Humanities Day, students can get a taste of college classes in the Humanities, mix with our students, meet our professors, see what our students do in the extracurricular activities that we sponsor (theatre, chorus, band, the Advocate, and Backroads), enjoy a lunch at our dining facility, and tour outr campus. This should allow interested students some real insight into university life at UPJ and provide them with an opportunity to see first-hand what they might do in college.
If you need help completing your online application for Penn State or your FAFSA ( financial application) plan to attend a help session on SATURDAY , OCTOBER 26 .
Appointments begin at 10 am and you can get applied and your financial aid application submitted in one morning. To register call 717-771-4040 or register at york.psu.edu/admission/visit. Your $65.00 application fee will be waived if you attend this event.
The documents above were distributed and explained to all seniors in Homeroom on September 3, 2019. Seniors and families are encouraged to refer to this resource throughout the senior year.
Check out this website to help you format and make the best impression on your college resume!
High School Resume for College Application—College Resume 101
Manufacturing Education Day
Learn about the different careers that are available in manufacturing field. Visit numerous local manufacturing businessses and schools such as High Industries, Harrington Hoist, Advance Food Products are more.
All attendees will receive a gift after attending various educational manufacturing stations. Highlights of the day consist of pre-game sky divers, interactive stations, demonstrations of manufacturing techniques, post-game fireworks, and more!
Tickets to the game are free. If you would like to attend, talk to your school counselor.
. When: April 27″ beginning at 6:00 PM
. Where: Clipper Magazine Stadium
• Who: Any middle or high school student.
Rep. Smucker will host his annual Service Academy Day for students and parents on Friday, April 26th from 7-9PM at Dallastown High School. All high school underclass students (and 7th/8th graders as well) are invited to attend. United States Service Academy Liaison officers, ROTC representatives, Parents Clubs, and DODMERB personnel will be present to brief on their programs. Some of the items discussed at this event will be:
· The difference between attending an academy/ROTC and military recruiters
· The value of the military profession
· The value of attending a summer program at an Academy
· Describing the ‘ideal’ candidate
· Determining the difference between a nomination and an appointment
· The timeline for applying
|JOIN US FOR FREE DINNER AND A FUN PRESENTATION ON LOCAL AGENCIES IN THE PENN MANOR COMMUNITY! |
Monday, March 25th 6:00-7:00pm Manor Heights Community Room
Thursday, March 28th 4:00-5:00pm Willow Run Community Room
Thursday, April 11th 6:00-7:00pm Brunswick Farms Community Room
– Dinner will be provided- There will be a craft/activity for kids as well-
Door prizes and fun
We hope to see you there!
This presentation is facilitated by the Bridges Task Force and funded by Compass Mark
10th and 11th grade students who are planning to attend a Four Year College should consider applying to attend Camp College! If you don’t know how or where to begin with the college search and application process this is a 2 night program designed to get you on the right path!
Camp College East 2019
Tuesday, July 30 –Thursday, August 1 Cabrini University (30 minutes outside of Philadelphia)
Camp College is an intensive three day/two night workshop designed for rising high school seniors and juniors. Paired with mentors, participants will learn about all aspects of the college search and application process, experience life in the residence halls, learn about financial aid, standardized test exams and have a lot of fun! At the end of Camp College, we expect that the students will be equipped with the tools to navigate the college application process. For more information click on the link below to apply!