At this point in the year, my recommendation for my first grade students reading log is to go to www.starfall.com
It is an ideal place to have students read decodeable books under the “Learn to Read” tab, “It’s Fun to Read “, and “I am Reading.”
Those assigned “aa-A” reading levels should practice with decodeable books and alphabet sounds and words.
Those assigned “B-C” should start with reading through the Learn to Read and It’s Fun to Read.
Levels D and up should start with reading through the Learn to Read, It’s Fun to Read and I am Reading. I am Reading provides fiction and non-fiction books for students to choose from.
Here is a list of additional reading resources provided by Accelerate Education.
Resources for finding digital copies of required novels for Accelerate Ed
- Local library – Most local libraries allow you to use your library card to download ebooks for free
- Overdrive: https://www.overdrive.com/ -Borrow and read free ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines from your library using your phone or tablet.It’s easy to get started―all you need is a library card!
- Open Library – openlibrary.org – set up a free account and can borrow up to 10 books at a time, books can either be read online or downloaded
- Gutenberg Project – https://www.gutenberg.org/ – mostly the classics that can be read online or downloaded in Kindle format
- Amazon Prime – www.amazon.com – free Prime reading books if you have an Amazon Prime account
- epubBooks – https://www.epubbooks.com/ – must create a free account to download any books
- Kobo – https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/free-ebooks – a variety of genres available to download
- Full Books – http://www.fullbooks.com/