In our after school STEM Club, students have been working to construct water filters. Their objective is to build the least expensive (from commonly available parts) water filter, that cleans the water the best, and the quickest.
Students purchase materials and evaluate their possible scores, given how much money they spent, using a cost analysis rubric. Next, they test their materials to see what works best and redesign their filters if needed.
The water is judged on color, clarity, smell, and particles.
Students have done an amazing job designing, creating, and testing their filters!
We had a lot of fun learning about teeth and tooth anatomy. We even made models of teeth, and learned about their “scientific” names.
Last week, we prepared for our upcoming unit in chemistry by performing an experiment with dry ice. Students observed Mr. Thompson’s demonstration of how dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide that happens to sublimate. A unique phase change for our class to observe and one that was a lot fun!
Yesterday, 4th grade participated in a Google Virtual Field Trip. They explored different ecosystems, including wetlands, deserts, and woodlands. Everyone had an awesome experience!
Students in both classes are learning how to use the scientific method to perform an experiment. For this lesson, students focused on the hydrogen bond of water and how it related to the cohesion and surface tension of water. Students were given materials (an eyedropper, coins, cup, and water) and challenged to design an experiment. They had to list the hypothesis, materials, steps, results, and conclusion.
Every student did a great job rising to the challenge!
For a quick STEM activity, students were asked to save a worm whose boat (cup) had capsized, trapping the worm on top of the overturned boat and his life vest (life saver candy) under the boat. The students worked in teams to devise a plan to retrieve the life vest and place it on the worm without the worm falling off the cup. The other constraint was that students could only use one hand, and must do all of this with one toothpick per team member. There was no poking Wilbur the Worm, as he would surely perish!
In math class we used windbags to create three dimensional shapes. However, before we could use the windbags we had to decide on the best way to inflate them. We estimated it would take between 200 and 300 large breaths of air to fill a big, therefore we needed an easier way. After a quick demonstration of Bernoulli’s Principle we discovered a fun and quick way to fill our windbags!
2T has classroom tadpoles! They have hatched from their eggs and have been moved to a larger holding tank. Currently, we are using the opportunity to learn about life-cycles, habitats, and animal classification. We have determined that we do not have newt or toad tadpoles, but do indeed have frogs!
We will find homes in the local community to release our frogs safely at the end of the year.